Welcome to Maritime Environmental Training Institute
We are a private career college, providing Certified Environmental and Safety Training for Today’s Industries — Coast to Coast.
At Maritime Environmental Training Institute, our quality keeps us busy.
Our calendar is full of opportunities for training at METI. Our schedule includes OSSA Courses(Energy Safety Canada), Traffic Control Person, Skid Steer Operator Safety Training, H2S Alive (Energy Safety Canada), Basic Frame Scaffolding (Staging) User & Erector and many, many more.
This is a great time to think about spring plans. It is an exciting time for anyone interested in Class 1, Class 3 Driver Training, EHST, Earthmoving Operator, Scaffolding Program or the Oilfield & Construction Skilled Labourer training. These programs all start in early to mid spring. Visit our programs page for more information and start dates.
Our training and programs are recognized and trusted by employers. METI is proud to work with more than 500 businesses and 700 on-line facilitators globally.
Temporary Office Closure (METI & Young Drivers) – Updated March 26, 2020
Our office will be temporarily closed for the next week – possibly longer, as we follow the advice of government officials and stay home during the COVID-19 health crisis. METI & Young Drivers are closely following the situation and will provide furthers update as soon as we can.
METI will continue to post updates on our Facebook page and website (homepage). Young Drivers updates will be posted on the Young Drivers Facebook page, METI page and YD Instagram page. Please adhere to all local regulations and do your part to ensure our community gets through this together.
During this office closure, we can still be reached by email or by calling our phone number and leaving a voicemail. Messages will be periodically checked throughout the day and returned as soon as possible.
We ask students enrolled in one of our full-time programs to check their email for an update.
The Young Drivers Learn to Drive Program scheduled to start on April 4, 2020 has been postponed. We are working on an online option for the in-class training and will post updates.
Update from Energy Safety Canada – March 23, 2020
Energy Safety Canada has added to the list of certificate extensions and is granting extensions for the following courses:
- H2S Alive
- First Line Supervisor Blowout Prevention
- Second Line Supervisors Well Control
- Well Service Blowout Prevention
- Coiled Tubing Well Service Blowout Prevention
- Detection and Control
- Oilfield Driver Awareness
- OSSA Fall Protection
- OSSA Confined Space
- OSSA Elevated Work Platform
For these courses, any Certificate of Completion previously issued by Energy Safety Canada or the Oil Sands Safety Association (OSSA), that has an expiry date between January 1, 2020 and September 1, 2020 will be deemed by Energy Safety Canada to have not expired and will remain valid up to and including September 1, 2020.
OSSA Certifications must bear the holographic OSSA security label and may be validated with the provider that issued the certificate.
Certificates will not be re-printed and no action is required to qualify for the extension. Worker profiles will be updated and can be verified using ESC’s online Certificate Validation tool.
Please visit EnergySafetyCanada.com for further information. You can also reach ESC at 1.800.667.5557
Update from Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure – March 25, 2020
To help reduce the impact on workers currently certified as Traffic Control Person (TCP) or Temporary Workplace Signer (TWS), Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal (NSTIR, department) has introduced the following temporary measures:
- TCP/TWS certificates which have expired as of March 1, 2020, or in the near future, will remain valid until further notice. Workers are still required to have their certificates on them while performing TCP/TWS duties. They are not required to obtain a new certificate at this time
- Workers requiring a new certificate due to loss or damage, may contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements until the original Certificate can be printed and mailed.
- The Department of Labour and Advanced Education has been notified of the expiry date extension and have agreed to the terms and will not be enforcing expiry dates (as stated above) at this time, but will require workers to have their recently expired certification on their person while performing TCP/TWS duties
- Workers who have never held TCP/TWS certification, will not be allowed to perform TCP/TWS duties until courses resume and they have successfully completed the appropriate TCP/TWS certification.
Update: WorkplaceNL extends validity of certification safety training certificates – March 19, 2020
St. John’s, NL – WorkplaceNL is extending the validity of certification safety training certificates as training courses may not be available during the COVID-19 pandemic. A worker’s safety training certificate that expired on or after February 28, 2020 will remain valid until June 30, 2020. The worker will then have to recertify by August 30, 2020.
Certificates for which extensions are granted are:
- Confined space entry
- Fall protection
- Mine rescue
- Power line hazards
- Traffic control person
- Occupational Health and Safety Committee Member/Representative/Designate
- Musculoskeletal injury prevention
- Supervisor safety
Employers and supervisors are required to continuously assess the competency of workers to ensure they work safely. If a worker’s competency is not satisfactory, employers and supervisors should take reasonable actions to mitigate the risk of unsafe work.
WorkplaceNL will provide another update if there are further changes. For more information, please contact OHS.Training@workplacenl.ca
Other Training and Services
Skills Development Training
Customized training for individuals, organization and companies
Youth Job-Preparation Training
Environmental Health and Safety Courses
Online Safety Training designed and developed by certified curriculum development specialists and industry-experienced subject matter experts
See What our Customers Have To say
Thanks METI it’s was an awesome course with excellent instructors!!!
Thanks METI good course.
Thanks METI it was a great course.
Thanks METI it was a great course with lots of knowledge passed on from the instructors