The Environmental Health & Safety Technician provides supervisory level training from our industry experienced and certified instructors through a variety of theory and hands on training. Get the skills and certifications needed to prepare you for a career across many industries at home in Nova Scotia or across Canada in Health & Safety and Environmental Services.
Health and Safety Technicians work with specialists in conducting tests and measuring hazards to help prevent harm to employees, property, the environment and the public. Technicians supports a safe working environment by maintaining OHS administrative processes, conducting training and using processes and common practice solutions to OHS hazards.
Occupational health and safety technicians work in a variety of settings, such as offices, industrial or manufacturing sector, construction and many other areas. Often, their jobs consist of fieldwork and travel.
METI’s Environmental Health & Safety Technician training program responds to the demands of employees in the area of health and safety. Students completing their training graduate knowing how to interpret and reference OHS legislation, develop OHS Programs, conduct audits and inspections of existing OHS and environmental programs, and design and deliver effective OHS training programs to staff for their employers.
The EHST Program meets the formal education requirements for certification with the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP) for the Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CRST) certification program.
Whether you are upgrading your current skills or beginning a new path, METI will help you get your career started.
Why Choose METI?
Our programs are recognized and trusted by employers.They know that you’ll be ready for the job when you leave our campus!
Our team cares about your success.We understand that not everybody learns the same way. All of our instructors have industry experience and will work with you to make sure you’re prepared for your career.
You’ll become part of the METI family.Your future is important to us. Upon completing your program, we’re always available to help you connect with industry and provide resume support and advice.
EHST Program Description
Section 1 – Occupational Health & Safety Regulations and Requirements
- Occupational Health & Safety Representative
- Standard First Aid, Level C w/ CPR & AED (2 Day)
- Joint Occupational Health & Safety Representative (JOHS)
Section 2 – Construction Safety
- Fall Protection
- Confined Space Entry
- Confined Space Rescue
- Hoisting & Rigging
- Lock Out-Tag Out
- Basic Blue Print & Plan Reading
- Basic Frame Scaffolding Erector & User
- Power Line Hazards
Section 3 – Oil Sands Safety
- Common Safety Orientation (CSO)
- Energy Safety Canada Fall Protection
- OSSA Confined Space Entry & Monitor
- CSTS (Construction Safety Training Systems)
- OSSA Fire Watch (Spark Watch)
Section 4 – Respiratory Safety Training
- Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE/APR)
- H2S Alive (Energy Safety Canada)
- Gas Detection
- Nitrogen Safety
Section 5 – Computers & Career Development
- Introduction to Computers & Career Development
Section 6 – Road Safety
- Traffic Control Person (TCP)
- Temporary Workplace Signage (TWS)
- Alberta Flag Person
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
Section 7 – Driving & Operating
- Forklift Operator Safety
- Elevated Work Platform (Boom Lift)
- Skid Steer Operator Safety
Section 8 – Remediation Studies
- Asbestos Abatement
- Lead Abatement
- Microbial Remediation (Mold Abatement)
- Radio-logical Safety
- Blood-borne Pathogens
Section 9 – Environmental Safety
- Hazardous Waste Worker
- Phase 1: Environmental Site Assessment
- Underground Storage Tank Removal (UST)
- Trenching & Excavating
- Ground Disturbance II
Section 10 – Safety & Environmental Leadership
- Hazard Assessment
- Incident Investigation Training
- Hazard Management Process (FLHA, JHA, JSA)
- Effective Supervision & Communication
- Substance Abuse & Awareness Prevention
- Workplace Violence & Harassment (WVH)
- Safety Supervision & Management Systems
- Safety Auditor
- Hazardous Waste Supervisor
What to Expect
- Instruction from industry-experienced and certified instructors
- Training in a variety of safety-sensitive work practices
- Skills that are in high demand
- Skills that can be applied in a variety of industries
- Supervisory level training and certification
- Training in a modern facility
- Training in the usage of a variety of equipment
Did you know? METI’s instructors Harold, Blaine, Keith & Adrian are graduates of our Environmental Health & Safety Technician(EHST) Diploma? All obtained field experience and are now part of the team at METI. Maritime Environmental Training Institute is proud that a large part of our team are METI graduates.
“I received confirmation from the university today regarding transfer credits. Again, fantastic news based on METI quality courses. METI has been the best training I have taken to date and since has helped me toward achieving my goals. E.g. CRSP designation (2014) and will complete my Degree in OHS over the next 6 months due to the quality of training METI provided and transfer credits allotted based on the high standards.”
What Do You Need To Apply?
- A completed application form
- An updated resume
- A transcript of Grade 12 marks (or GED) OR take a Scholastic Level Exam (SLE) at our campus
- An interview with our admission team (Skype, Google Hangouts or telephone interviews may be an option)
Application and Financing Options
Our Admissions team is here to help you with any enrollment questions you have about the APPLICATION PROCESS, and to provide information about FINANCING OPTIONS that may be available to you. Contact our admissions team today: 902-539-9766, (toll free) 1-877-800-6384 or email email@example.com